Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Beginning...and the End

It was the end of life as we knew it, but we didn't know that yet. A year ago this month, in March of 2013 we moved into what we thought was our dream house but it turned into a total nightmare. The worst possible kind of nightmare that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

They say you never know what you have until it's gone. It is so true. We had it all but didn't realize it, and of course what we had we took for granted. I was healthy, I worked out every day and had a great figure. I had two healthy children with above average intelligence. My daughter had a best friend and regularly won awards and spelling bees at her school for superior academic performance. We had a house full of nice furnishings, nothing fancy, but it was all clean and comfortable and made our house a home.

I had clothes, many of which I'd had since high school; cute skirts, dresses, vintage tees, jeans. My children had toys: a beautiful dollhouse that was taller than they were and filled with Barbie sized furniture, clothes, and accessories. They had four Barbie cars, all bought at garage sales, but clean and in good shape. They had over one hundred Barbies. Most bought at garage sales or Goodwill, other cherished ones bought new for birthdays, Christmas, and special occasions. They had cute clothes, my youngest in particular had more clothes than she could wear because she had all her sister's hand-me-downs plus new clothes from relatives at special occasions and holidays.

I had a collection of books that I had kept from childhood with all my favorites. The Anne of Green Gables series, given to me by my grandmother, the Harry Potter series bought piece by piece and waited in line for as each book came out, Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine novels collected over time, a series of young adult female novels about important periods in history that I couldn't wait to share with my own daughter when she came of age, now out of print.

So many cherished possessions: my board games given to me by my parents at several childhood Christmases, my stuffed cat Fluffy and her kittens, a beloved and cherished gift from my grandmother on my seventh birthday. Yearbooks, baby books, the tooth fairy pillow sewn by my grandmother, baby blankets sewn by my mother-in-law for my babies. So much, all lost and gone due to mold contamination. And still we struggle and our health is poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment